Google Play Store is the only legitimate source to install apps to your android phone or tablet. Android apps are packed with the file extension “.*apk”. An android application can be installed by clicking on its APK file. But normally you cannot download the APK file of an app or game from Google Play.
Hopefully now, there’s an online free tool called “APK Downloader” developed by Evozi, an Android Developer. You don’t need to be logged-in to use it. This tool is specially very helpful when you have any problem downloading an app from play store on phone, or you have country restriction or you want to try an app that is not yet available for you phone or you want to transfer an app to your friend without internet connection.
Using APK Downloader to Download APK Files from Google Play
1. Go to and navigate to the app you want to download. For example, I’d like to download “Pixlr-o-matic” app, a cool photo editing tool by Pizlr. So I went to Pixlr-o-matic page. Then copy the URL of the page from browser address-bar.
2. Go to APK Downloader page. The paste the URL you copied (You can also only enter the package name. Here, my package name is pixlr.OMatic ). Then hit “Generate Download Link”!
3. APK Downloader will fetch the package URL from Google’s server and retrieve the APK file to its own server. You will be given a download link to download it directly.
Now you transfer this file to your phone to install. That’s it! You are done!
Optional: You can also use their Chrome Extension to one-click download APKs without entering URL! In the following screenshot, see my Chrome extension configured! The chrome extension can be found at too. To configure the chrome extension, follow the guide provided there.
From this article you will learn about several websites where you can download any app as an .apk file for free. You may need an .apk file if you want to run some app on Android emulator, you are using LineageOS (former CyanogenMod) without Google software or, perhaps, install in onto an ordinary Android device without Google Account.
Warning! We are not responsible for any of the websites mentioned below. So be cautious when using downloaded packages. We recommend that you check all APK files for malware before installing them just to be on the safe side.
Option #1. Download APK file of any app using
- Go to
- Type the name of the app.
- Click “search”.
- Select the proper app in the search results to open its web page in Google Play Store:
- Copy its URL:
- Go to
- Paste the URL into the field.
- Click on the “Search” icon:
- Click “Download”: Now you have the requested app in .apk format downloaded:
How to install APK on your Android device
- Copy an APK file to your phone’s memory. It may be rather handy to create a folder like “distrib” for storing your APK files:
- Take your Android device, find the APK file you have just copied to the memory and open it.
- If you see the message “For security, your phone is set to block installation of apps obtained from unknown sources”, click on “Settings” and allow to install apps from unknown sources: By the way, you can manually navigate to “Settings” > “Security” and enable “Unknown sources”: Allow installation of apps from unknown sources
- Now all you need to do is tap “Next” and “Install”:
Other services to download apk files of apps
- Go to: apk-downloader
- Paste URL into the field.
- Click “Generate download link”:
- Click on “Click here to download [app name] now”:
- Go to:.
- Paste the URL of the app you need to get:
- Click “Download APK file”:
- Click “Start download”:
Different websites may provide different version of an app. Consequently, the downloaded APK files may be of different sizes. Do not forget that apps downloaded from third-party sources can in some cases be fake or bundled with unwanted of malicious software without any notice.
As the APK file is directly pulled from Google Play server, it’s most likely the package is safe to install. This method is just like download apks using web-browser. You may face incompatibility issue if the app do not support your phone. Happy downloading. Let us know if you have any problem!